Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Tubes at Penn’s Peak (Jim Thorpe, PA) October 15th, 2010

My wife and I went to see the Tubes play up at Penn's Peak for the fourth time on Friday night. They've been there five times over the past decade, but we hadn't even known the place existed until the first time we saw them there, back in 2007.

The weather was slightly inclement, but it always seems to be something when the Tubes come to town. The first time we saw them, my wife was sick and we had just rescued a bunch of kittens that had been left under a bush in the yard. The next two times it rained horribly before and during the concert, following up with dense fog on the way home. This time, it was much colder and windier than we had expected.

This was the most sparsely attended of any show I've been to while here in Pennsylvania. There were only about 200 people in attendance, and there seemed to be seating available for about double that number. It did mean a much more personal show than usual, I think, especially since there were very few children in the audience. I only saw perhaps two teenage kids. Apparently people have been doing a little research and realized that "She's a Beauty" is not necessarily representative of the band's oeuvre.

There was also no opening band. This was a very pleasant surprise, since Penn's Peak tends to pick bands that don't meld well with semi-headliners like the Tubes. I remember one year there was a very depressing duo on guitar and zither. Last year was the exception, with a band called Night Wind that really had the right chops to open a show.

The show itself was fantastic as always. The previous year, Roger Steen had led the band in "Up from the Deep" sans Fee Waybill on stage, who then came out in costume to segue into "Out of the Business." This year, "Prelude in Black" led into "No Mercy"and "No Way Out", with Fee wearing a preacher's collar (which he soon showed was just a piece of folded paper).

Fee introduced "TV", a song off their new album "Mondo Birthmark", and talked about his obsession with certain parts of Annette Funicello as a kid. One could definitely tell he was playing to an adult audience this time around. Roger then led the group in an excellent rock version of the theme from "I Love Lucy." A quick costume change and "TV is King" was ready to go with Fee wearing a TV set adorned with a black lace bra and panties.

This year Fee's yellow jacket, green shirt and Herb Tarlek pants were from Monty Hall's yard sale (last year it was Howie Mandel) and he's one of the only people who could wear that get-up and still look cool. Naturally, this was the set-up for "What Do You Want from Life?" which was the Tubes' perennial game show theme.

While Fee was changing, Roger led drummer Jonathan Mover and bassist Atom Ellis in a "Rumble." It was one of those numbers that you could tell everyone on stage was having a helluva good time playing. Fee then came out in a green mohawk and Misfits shirt for "I Was a Punk (Before You Were a Punk)" and the Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There."

Next up was "Fee Brown" with a medley of funky hits (including "Out of Sight", "Get It Together", "There was a Time" and "Sex Machine"). I'm pretty sure Fee Waybill is the only white boy legally allowed to dress up like James Brown. He didn't bother changing to sing "Tip of My Tongue."

Another quick change into a 1950s white tee and jeans for a trio of songs off "The Completion Backwards Principle" album: "Attack of the 50-Foot Woman" (which I had not heard performed live before), "Amnesia" and "Don't Want to Wait Anymore" (which is one of my wife's favorite songs).

Roger sang "Up from the Deep" while Fee changed, and soon it was again time for Sir Quay Lewd to prance out for our enjoyment. I was only disappointed that he didn't throw in another "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" number this year, but "Boy Crazy" and the ubiquitous "White Punks on Dope" where showstoppers as usual. There were way too many people not singing along though. Remember it's the damn law! You sing the choruses of WPOD, damn it!

Two encore songs this year: "She's a Beauty" and "Talk to Ya Later" (which closes pretty much every Tubes show).

Once again, the band had a meet-and-greet after the show. I have to say that Fee and Roger always seem to be able to talk to everyone like they're completely normal non-rock-star folk. It's almost off-putting how normal these guys seem when they aren't up there blowing our eardrums out. Fee was gracious enough to once again let me get a pic with him. And I asked Roger about who their bassist was (Atom Ellis) and he explained how Rick Anderson was ill and Atom had his blessing to work with the band. I didn't even really know what to say to Jonathan Mover ... he gave one of the best drum performances I have ever seen. As always, autographs abounded.

This was another memorable concert with the Tubes. Every show we've been to has had something different, something original in it. I've now heard them perform everything from "Bali Hai" to "Sex Machine." And I know me and my wife will continue to go to their shows as long as they keep coming to this area. If anyone reading this has the opportunity, get out and see the Tubes when they come to your town. You won't be disappointed ... the Tubes are one of the few bands left that seem to actually have fun when they perform.

1 comment:

  1. You've inspired me Rich! Your spirited coverage lead me to revisit The Tubes on YouTube (web site name especially appropriate in this case). The Completion Backwards Principle was my main exposure to them as "a kid" (owned it on vinyl) and I certainly remember enjoying that album. But I never became a groupie. Maybe now.

    Terry Wiegert

    ReplyDelete